test everything.

The problem with growing up in our Asian society is that virtually all knowledge and instruction in generations past were spoon fed to us and oftentimes, I daresay, dogmatic to a fault.

Too often we are unconsciously passed on the practice of belittling significant practices and giving too much pomp to the inconsequential. No one questions; it gets passed on as 'tradition'. Then it becomes embedded into culture, exalted as a white elephant – and though blatantly redundant, our stiff-neckedness refuses to send it back to where it should belong. The comfort of tradition and refusal to move along contextually (yet without deviating from the Truth) and tread into waters unknown often makes us miss out on discovering better things. There is no point trying to look big picture through glasses for long-sightedness.

Today, I've begun to look at myself and that which goes on around me, and ask: What is happening, and what are my absolutes? Do I understand what I do? What can I live with, and what do I draw the line at?

It's but the beginning of a long and arduous search for knowledge and understanding... And a big dummy to wrestle. God help me.
[21] My son, do not lose sight of these—
keep sound wisdom and discretion,
[22] and they will be life for your soul
and adornment for your neck.
[23] Then you will walk on your way securely,
and your foot will not stumble.
[24] If you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
[25] Do not be afraid of sudden terror
or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes,
[26] for the LORD will be your confidence
and will keep your foot from being caught.
[27] Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in your power to do it.
(Proverbs 3:21-27 ESV)

Comments

Popular Posts