past

[5] The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
(1 Timothy 1:5 ESV)

How challenging it is indeed to teach in love with all three: A pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith! Yet these are not mutually exclusive, and much less are they exclusive from our being in Christ. It is with little wonder that Paul opens his exhortation to Timothy with these words, reminding him that as he shepherds his flock and corrects them in doctrine, the charge is charity—agape love.

Apostolic instruction must never stem from a messiah complex. It is not a misguided desideratum of being somebody to someone, because of someone, or for someone. And God forbid that should it ever be an academic soundstage or a show of power play.

"The aim of our charge is love."

I must keep my mind on the calling He has for me to be equipped, and to minister to others with the gifts He has given me. It must be His unchanging, steadfast and unconditional love that drives me to love others.

“Knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up. (1 Corinthians 8:1 ESV)

As I study about God, as I slowly amass this wealth of knowledge that is breathing down every presupposition and ideology that I've ever held on to, it is my prayer that I will not lose sight of the charge: Agape love that is patient and kind, does not envy or boast, is not arrogant or rude, nor insists on its own way; love that is not irritable or resentful, does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love that bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13 ESV)

Because without it, I am nothing.

Comments

Popular Posts