hostitality

I'll be experiencing my first taste of independence (somewhat) next year. For the first time in my entire life, I'll be living home away from home—in hostel—across the road from my uncle's place. Ah yes.

No one would believe me if I were to tell them that once out of the social mise-en-scene I actually prefer keeping to myself, so I've decided to swing the extreme. I've hence been managing the expectations of my hostel/schoolmates ("it's going to be noisy/crazy/ballistic/madness"), even though deep within the recesses of my own comfy #9 flat everyone knows I'm a quiet homie. See, I told you you wouldn't believe me.

But I have dreamed up (keyword: dream) a whole bunch of things I'd like to do whilst in school— inviting the international students to my place for monthly dinners, bringing them out to scourge for good local fare, listening to all the life stories that I can and learning new languages, playing ball as and when I fancy, learning to skateboard so that I can move in/around school, gassing for some nerf guns with a bunch of whom I've seeded some ideas (sbcundgrdcarpark_map glhf) to destress... 6 months is way too short. I'll be saving up to pay for the semester after next though; I'm blessed enough that my church is yet again supporting me through this round. Hopefully by God's grace I'll get to extend my stay.

Finally, a small conundrum: To join or not to join the Student Council (SC), that is the question.

Thing is, I have vehemently refused and vermonstrously declared my intentions not to join the SC for as long as I can hold it off. I've toyed with the idea of going renegade so that I can discredit myself (read: toyed). Yet of late, I have been thinking about the possible permutations of my participation and (for now, I insist) it looks like joining them in my next academic year is the most viable option simply because it'd be my first year in the MDiv course. The lightest year. The second year will be killer, and third slightly better... But I'd probably be a tad worn out by then. The catch would be that if I were to join next year, I may be trapped into staying for another year, and a third... And the scarier thought? The high possibility I'd  actually would want to stay.

I do not want to join simply because I always spread myself too thin and I end up not accomplishing anything. The easy way of putting it to people is that I have "no time", but I have come to see that that is the weakest excuse in the books of the multi-hyphenates who have gone before me. I do see the value in joining; it will be very good experience and training especially for one who is often misconstrued as (somewhat) incapable of leadership and being serious. I can always up my ante without having to join the SC, but a platform like this always whacks me on the head with just a little more clout.

(Yet joining next year also means I lose a lot of cred with my vehement statements... Be slow to speak, I know. Le sigh.)

So what do I do now?

Pray.

Comments

Popular Posts