intrepid / in trepid

Whilst I received much encouragement and affirmation after interpreting for the brilliant Dr/Uncle CCMS, I have come to realise that interpretation is both a science and an art. There is methodology and technique, yet one must make room for semantics, creativity, and expression. But above all, it is the Living Word of God that is spoken; the spirit/Spirit must be involved.

Although I can say that I put in stops (fully translating the manuscript beforehand) in attempt of a smooth and seamless delivery (read: attempt), I know that what mattered more was the Word that faced me as a mirror and pierced my soul of its sin and lack of love as I prepared. It pierced my mind to think about what love of 1 Cor 13 meant; it pierced my heart of the need to respond after cognitively knowing. And the Spirit that caused this conviction within me was surely the same Spirit that moved in my interpretation to the English-speaking students.

The preacher must first be preached to by the Word before preaching, which in turn implies that being preached to means a response to the Word must take place. It could be a jaded, run-of-the-mill response; it could be a response in awe and gratefulness. It could be an indifferent reaction; it could be a reaction that leads to a change in the inner being. A reaction that responds to the love of Christ. And these changes must be reflected in the life of the preacher, otherwise all that the preacher would speak of are empty words. Of course, the Lord still uses such messages in spite of and despite our weaknesses, but wouldn't it be so much more awesome when we slowly step away from thinking and speaking like a child and into adulthood?

The end result: The Living Word, buoyed by the Spirit, spoken by a vessel that lives in His love. Thank you, Dr/Uncle CCMS for being such an inspiring teacher and preacher, and being Christ to us. What an amazing testimony.

P.S. God forbid that after many years of preaching, being in His love is lost. Perhaps that then is a foreshadow of what it looks like when gifts pass away.

Comments

Popular Posts